Saturday, March 3, 2012

Macho Nachos

Mexican food tops the list of my favorite cuisine.  I first got to taste authentic Mexican dishes somewhere in Downey, Los Angeles way back in 2007 when I was a contestant of a local (Philippines) reality TV show.  I can't ever forget that big wet burrito I had that is so huge, three people could eat it.  I'll try to make that dish some other time.

Just the other day, after paying my bills, I went straight to the grocery and grabbed some stuff then suddenly saw those nacho chips stacked atop the ice cream chillers, so I thought of making some at home.


Ingredients:

2-3 tomatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red onion, diced
1 tbsp tomato paste or tomato catsup
1/4 kg ground pork or beef
1 small can pork and beans
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp cayenne (you can adjust this to your preference)
1 tsp spanish paprika
chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
nacho chips

1.  Sweat onions.  Once translucent, add garlic then diced tomatoes.
2.  Add ground meat.  When ground meat turned brown, add in tomato paste/catsup, a can of pork and beans and ground spices, chopped cilantro as well as S&P.
3.  Let it simmer till meat is cooked.
4.  Arrange nacho chips, top with meat, add melted cheese, and garnish with cilantro.


Melted Cheese Ingredients:

1/4 cup shredded quickmelt cheese
1/2 cup milk
drop of yellow food coloring *optional

1.  On a small non-stick pot, pour in milk and shredded cheese over medium heat.  Stir till cheese is well incorporated.
2.  Set aside for 5-10 minutes and it will eventually thicken.
3.  Stir in a drop yellow food coloring.

For a more refreshing nachos, add salsa or guacamole.  ^^


2 comments:

  1. Mmm. This looks yummy. I will put this in my list. This is an appetizer isn't it? I'm thinking of making this and putting it in my blog http://www.icookformybrother.com/ I will link back to your blog of course. Is it okay with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, sure! feel free to link this on your blog. will check it out :D

    yup, this can be served as an appetizer or as a snack ^_^

    ReplyDelete