Sunday, February 4, 2018

Recipe | Carrot Sweet Potato Turnip Salad

Since I've been 'pigging' out quite literally this week (ate pork for 2 days in a row), and while AM is at work for KMKZ's kickoff concert after 2 years of resting, I've decided to go vegan and eat well this today (and tomorrow, I hope).

Whenever I go to our local market (or palengke), I don't have any menu in mind because I almost always rely on what's available on that day.

I usually buy my greens at the grocery, but this time, I was surprised to have found fresh lettuce at our local market!  For only Php 20, good for two, it's a good deal.  So, I thought of making lumpiang sariwa for dinner but AM wasn't excited about it. Then days have gone by and my fresh produce starts to wilt. So I came up with this easy salad, sans lumpia wrapper and meat.








Carrot Sweet Potato Turnip Salad
Here's a Filipino snack, lumpiang sariwa, turned into a salad sans the lumpia wrapper. Perfect for those who are sick of the usual thousand island-olive oil-base kind of dressing.
Dressing Ingredients:
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsps soy sauce
  • 2 tsps sugar of your choice (I used brown cane sugar)
  • 1/8 cup cold water
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pack lettuce
  • 1 small carrot, cut into strips
  • 1 small sweet potato, cut into strips
  • 1 small turnip (singkamas), cut into strips
  • Half of a small red or white onion, sliced
  • 3 cups water for boiling
  • 3 cups ice water (for shocking)
  • 1/4 cup cashew, almonds or any nut you prefer
Salad Instructions:

  1. Wash lettuce, shock in ice water, and drain. Set aside.
  2. Boil water in a pot.
  3. Put strips of carrots in boiling water and let it boil for a minute before transferring it to the ice water.
  4. Transfer carrots in a plate with kitchen tissue or towel.
  5. Do the same procedure with sweet potatoes. You don't have to cook the turnips.
  6. Set lettuce in a salad bowl or plate.
  7. Add carrots, turnips, and sweet potatoes.
  8. Drizzle dressing/sauce. Toss it if you like.
  9. Garnish with chopped or whole cashews, almonds, or nuts that you prefer.
Dressing Instructions:

  1. Heat soy sauce in a pot. Add in minced garlic, pepper, and sugar.
  2. Make a slurry by mixing cold water with cornstarch. Then pour it into the simmering sauce/dressing.
  3. Whisk until sauce/dressing thickens.
  4. Taste and adjust according to your liking. Set aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment