Sunday, February 24, 2013

Silantro: Fil-Mex Cantina


Are there days that you feel like going out but doesn't know where to go?  I usually have those kind of days and today was one of it.  Since not everyone I know is spontaneous like me, I came up with this 'silent contest' earlier today.  Whoever was available in an unplanned food trip wins, and its prize was...my treat!

I went through my contact list and sent SMS to the 'finalists' who might have been free for the day.  Actually I prefer to go out with my male buddies for a change this time, knowing that my girl friends are way too busy on weekends.  Some said they were busy, and Jarla (not his real name, but he is my guy best bud that I fondly call by that name..long story), who I knew had prior plans for the day, surprisingly said yes.  And off I went to Shaw.

We drove down East Capitol Drive to scout for a good place to dine.  Since Jarla isn't familiar with the entire stretch, I kind of toured him around the area and saw this new space called Silantro: Fil-Mex Cantina.





I love Mexican food, and having found this place really made my day! :)

We were then greeted by one of the courteous staff and I asked for their bestsellers, as usual.  We tried their burrito, soft taco, nachos and fresh dalandan drink.  I ordered more than what Jarla expected because I want to get a taste of more than one dish, and we hadn't had breakfast and lunch, it was four in the afternoon, and we're starving.  So, yeah, I ordered a lot.

The service was quick, way too quick that a minute after we got seated, our orders came in.

This burrito deserves more than one shot.  Winner!
Silantro's Burrito Php 160

Silantro's Burrito definitely proved that it is one of their bestsellers.  The meat is very tender and tasty, while the rice is perfectly cooked.  And what I liked best on this dish are their sauces!  The cucumber sauce got my attention.  Very refreshing.  And the chili sauce is superb too as well as that aioli sauce (though it needs more kick).


Tastes like cucumber to me and it's, oh, so fine!  I hope my guess is right.  I'm not a fan of cucumber, but I love this sauce.


Lucha Tacos Completo (Triple Meat) Php 100

Go loco with tacos!

There are three varieties of tacos to choose from:
Ligero (single choice of meat) Php 65
Medio (double choice of meat) Php 85
Completo (triple choice of meat) Php 100

The meat selections are chicken, pork, lengua, lamb, oxtail, and beef.

Of course I chose those that I rarely eat:  Completo: lengua, lamb, and oxtail, on soft taco.  Yep, you could either have hard shell tacos or soft ones.

You guys definitely have to try this taco!  All three meats were so soft, tender and tasty!  Never had these three kind of meat in one meal, and they perfectly complement each other.  A-plus!  But, of course, it's similar to how the burrito tastes like, minus the rice.  Hehe.  They should introduce other sauces for the tacos, just my two cents.


Nachos Php 145

They also serve Nachos (Php 145) and Beef Nachos (Php 160).  The difference between the two is that their Nachos are served with either chicken or pork (and if I remember it correctly, they also have fish..I'm not quite sure if it's with the nachos or with the burrito/quesadilla.  Fudge, I'm half-awake right now.  It's 2 AM!  My apologies for my nonsense remarks).  So I opted for their chicken this time.  Their serving is huge that we had to take half of it home.  This is perfect with a couple of beers and friends.  Will be doing that soon, most definitely.


Fresh Dalanda Juice Php 90

This drink really lived up to its name: fresh dalandan indeed!  Loved it, though I was quite frantic on drinking it due to my acid reflux, but I have to taste one of their bestseller drinks.  Fortunately, acid attack didn't occur.  Yey!

--

So, to rate my overall gastronomical experience on this lovely chill out place, I'll give it 9 out of 10 forks!

Food - 10 forks
Service - 10 forks
Product Knowledge - 10 forks
Location - 9 forks
Interior/Exterior - 10 forks
Restroom - 0
Wifi - 0

Others (9 forks):
Parking - street
Mode of payment - cash only
Attire - casual

Not bad, ey?  I didn't see any restroom and they don't have WIFI at this time (since they are still on their soft opening phase and their WIFI application is still on the process).  I really love the vibe of this restaurant since it's one of the neighborhood chill out places, so it's pretty relaxing.  Just the way I like it.

My only worry is that I hope that they can maintain the quality of their food and its serving size in the long run.

Will definitely be back next week with friends and colleagues :)


--

Silantro Fil-Mex Cantina
75 East Capitol Drive, Kapitolyo
Pasig City
Tel. No. 0917-508-4748
Open daily
Monday - Thursday 10:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Friday - Sunday 10:30 a.m. to 1 a.m.


Like them on Facebook!  https://www.facebook.com/silantrofilmexcantina.kapitolyopasig

Map grabbed from Silantro's Facebook page.



-----


After a long trip from Padre Burgos, Quezon last Friday (March 1st), my friends and I met up with our other friend at Pioneer and headed to Silantro for dinner since they wanted to try it out because I've been raving about it.

They ordered the usual, burrito and soft taco, while I got myself a burger and Bel had Silantro's Pork Ribs.

Pancholon's Burger Php 160


They say that this burger is one of their 'bestsellers'.  Don't expect too much from this.  It didn't gave me the 'wow' factor.  There is no Mexican feel or taste to it.  And the fries were too disgusting--soaked in oil and soggy.  Yuck.  They should do something with this dish.  I just realized that their salsa doesn't taste right.  It lacks sourness and spiciness to it, like what I did for Bamm.  Yes, I have to brag it.  Lol.  Just so you know, my chef instructor back at school years ago loved my salsa when I made a huge batch for a function. 


Silantro's Pork Ribs Php 175

I should have gotten this meal instead of that burger.  Perfectly grilled (crisp on the outside, juicy meat) and tastes so good -- simple, just the way I like it.  But I find it too Filipino for me, they claim that their dishes are Filipino-Mexican fusion.  Anyway, I'd still give a thumbs up for this!



Mojito Php 120

I'm not a drinker, but I liked their mojito.  Never had this kind of cocktail drink before so I can't say much about it.  :)

Mixed reviews from my friends.  But for me, I'd still go back to this place to dine and chill.  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment